Khon Kaen University is preparing for sustainability in good health. There are research centers related to the prevention and treatment of diseases such as the Research and Diagnostic Center for Emerging Infectious Diseases, the Cholangiocarcinoma Research Institute which has a medical center, Srinakarind Hospital, Faculty of Medicine which is the largest hospital in the Northeast and a vital part of the creation of a Medical Hub to develop innovations in medicine and the treatment of important diseases in the northeastern region.
KKU cooperates with health service organizations both in Thailand and abroad. Almost all projects undertaken by the Faculty of Health Sciences can nvolve the Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Dentistry Faculty of Pharmacy, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and the Faculty of Public Health. The examples of outstanding collaborative projects addressing regional issues are the Smart Health Telemedicine project; Developing caregiver skills and health, developing knowledge of diabetes and hypertension, and monitoring bedridden patients. Also, the project for surveillance and analysis of the corona virus (Covid-19) pandemic project, the oral health examination program for sick and vulnerable groups by dentists, and visiting bedridden patients and educating themselves on self-care projects, etc.
Policy and operation
KKU have partnerships with health service organizations both national and international. Almost projects run by the faculty in the Health Sciences which have the Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Dentistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Faculty of Veterinary Science, and Faculty of Public Health. Examples of outstanding cooperation projects to solve regional problems are as follows:
- CASCAP - Cholangiocarcinoma Screening and Care Program is ongoing in the areas of 20 northeastern provinces, 8 northern provinces and 1 eastern province. In addition, the program has assisted in screening patients in Lao PDR. Established under a national policy at the Cabinet’s meeting on June 21, 2016, the program has the strategic plans to do away with liver fluke disease and cholangiocarcinoma from 2016 and by 2025. Budget has been allocated in order that the problems will be efficiently and sustainably solved. The Center of Excellence in Cholangiocarcinoma has been established and is now the biggest center of its kind in the world.
- International cooperation
- National cooperation
- Karunruk is the palliative care systematic approach of faculty of medicine which has many network in Northeast of Thailand. The objective of this network is provide and share knowledge of terminal ill patients in Thailand.
- The Chronic Kidney Disease of Northeast Thailand Project has been conducted to increase the efficiency of treatment and care for patients with chronic renal disease. The project has been ongoing intensively and holistically in order to mitigate the problem of renal insufficiency in the areas of Khon Kaen, Maha Sarakham, Roi-et, Kalasin, and Chaiyaphum. The project covers approximately 50,000 cases of chronic patients who receive treatment and care at the primary health care unit of each of the sub-district health promotion hospitals, general hospitals, and Srinagarind Hospital. It also produces a registration and patient-transfer system for these patients from the primary level to the tertiary level.
- Asian researchers join international conference to discuss cancer screening issues
- KKU runs the 9th Asian-Pacific Cleft Lip-Palate Congress to foster cleft treatment via interdisciplinary method
- Faculty of Dentistry held an international dentistry conference with researchers all over the world attending and presenting dentistry research